I’d just like to share what I’ve updated on my inventory pickup web app over the past month.
1) Raw SQL replaced with Django ORM
I don’t know whether it was the convenience of just using what I already knew, but I converted these multiple line cursor SQL statements with the Django ORM for security and reliability.
2) Fixed modal scrolling bug on iOS
The iOS keyboard can be a huge pain sometimes. I found a bit of code that allow modals with input buttons not to lose focus, which was probably the biggest bug that I was concerned about.
3) Items view on history
Now, historical transactions can be sorted by items. It looks a lot cleaner.
4) Logging what users do
I’m in the beginning stages of logging what users do on the web app. I am considering creating another table where I can reference the user, write a description, and include a time stamp to when the action occurred. Right now, most of the appropriate views only print out a string on completion of an action.
Aside from the logging, I want to fix a few more GUI issues, like sorting historical pickup dates for items, and redirecting users to ‘/home’ from ‘/’ if they are logged in. The problem with the former is that I would have to change the model, which I am hesitant to do. I am definitely going to use chart.js to build a nice-looking dashboard for stats, but I will have to make up a bunch of dummy data to make sure this works properly. I have also been considering Django + AJAX solutions, but it seems that the web app would require a major re-write if I were to go down this path.